BURNING ALLOWED IN ALL OF PEND OREILLE COUNTY: The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) announced that the fire danger rating has been decreased to "LOW" level in all of Pend Oreille County as of September 27, 2019 at 12:01 A.M. Therefore, in accordance with Pend Oreille County Burning Control Ordinance 2011-3: “Whenever the Washington State Department of Natural Resources imposes Burning Controls upon lands within Pend Oreille County, the Pend Oreille County Commissioners hereby direct that identical County Burning Controls will be imposed upon all lands under county jurisdiction without further action of the Board of County Commissioners.

Rule burns are allowed for forest debris (individual pile size is limited to ten feet). For burn piles that do not meet the requirements of a Rule Burn, a Burn Permit is needed from DNR. Please notify the Pend Oreille County Sheriff’s Office the day of your burn by calling 509-447-1980.

Residents are reminded of the following burning guidelines from the Washington State Department of Ecology:

    1. Burning in a burn barrel is illegal everywhere in Washington!
    2. If smoke from your fire affects your neighbor, you must put out your fire.
    3. Burning is not the only way to get rid of natural vegetation. Consider composting and chipping.

Where burning is allowed, your burn pile must be less than 10’ across and you may burn only one pile at a time.
    1. Do not leave your fire unattended.
    2. No residential fires are allowed within 500 feet of forest slash.
    3. The use of gas and propane self-contained stoves and barbeques are allowed.

If you see someone you think is burning illegally, or if the smoke from someone’s fire is bothering you, call Ecology’s toll-free complaint line at 1-866-211-6284.
    1. No fires are allowed within 50 feet of structures.
    2. You can’t burn materials hauled from another property in your fire.
    3. No outdoor fires are allowed when air pollution levels are unhealthy.

Daily updates on burn restrictions are available at 1-800-323-BURN.

WILDLAND FIRE FIGHTING: All Risk Mobilization - In 1991, a wildland fire in Spokane destroyed hundreds of residential structures and thousands of acres of forest. In the wake of that firestorm, the 1992 Washington State Legislature passed into law a bill directing the creation of the State Fire Service Mobilization Plan in RCW 43.43.961. This RCW names the Chief of the Washington State Patrol as the authority to authorize a state-declared mobilization.

Northwest Fire LocationsUnder this RCW, the Fire Service Resource Mobilization Plan is implemented to provide personnel, equipment, and other logistical resources from around the state when a wildland fire or other emergency exceeds the firefighting capacity of local jurisdictions. In accordance with this plan, the Washington State Patrol Fire Protection Bureau Office of the State Fire Marshal coordinates statewide fire service resources to support local firefighting efforts.

South Pend Oreille Fire and Rescue participates in requests for state mobilizations with fire equipment and volunteers. Our participation is dependent upon our local conditions as well. When we have a high potential for major fires we reserve our apparatus and volunteers to stay here in our own protections area.

POC Local Emergency NotificationsLOCAL EMERGENCY NOTIFICATIONS: Pend Oreille County citizens are urged to sign up to receive Wildfire updates through the new Community Information Service which is designed to deliver important and timely information to residents in our county using the latest technology. This service, Nixle, delivers trustworthy and important neighborhood-level public safety and community event notifications instantly sent to you by cell phone text message, email, and the web. There is NO Spam or advertising. Nixle is completely free (standard text message rates apply for cell phone subscribers who do not have text plans with their cell phone providers). The service is simple to use, reliable and trusted. Click on the Nixle icon at the right to register now and learn more about this emergency notification service.

ILLEGAL BURNING: Please don’t do it! If you see someone you think is burning illegally call the Department of Ecology’s toll-free complaint line at 1-866-211-6284.