Fertile Valley and Jermain Road
Newport, WA 99156
ABOUT OUR STATION
Fire District 7 was formed in 1992 to help protect the homes, lands and provide EMS to residents of 18 square miles. Charlie Nall, Dale Lewis and Jim Donais were elected as Commissioners. They appointed Randy Miller as Fire Chief and Ed Douglas as training officer to work with the volunteers. DNR donated a 500 gallon pumper/tender and a 300 gallon brush truck with no building to store them in or the volunteers to train in. With community meetings and donations a 500 gallon engine was purchased from neighboring Fire District 3 for $1000.
Eventually, with countless hours of work, word was received on March 20, 1996 that a Community Development Block Grant had been awarded in the amount of $348,000 to build the present station located on Fertile Valley and Jermain Road. Land was donated by Charlie and Yvonne Nall. The present building was built in 1997.
Many fund raisers were held to help build operating funds with a tax base of approximately $9,000 a year. One of the first major fund raisers was the Pancake Breakfast that was held on May 8, 1998. Today it is an annual tradition that is still going strong and is “where old friends meet and new friends are made.” Today the money raised goes towards helping the Fire Fighters Assistant Program.
Chief Ed Douglas passed his position on to Bruce Coleman in 1998. Upon Chief Coleman's resent retirement Captain Randy Miller has been appointed Station Captain.
In 2010 with voter approval, Fire District 7 merged with Districts 1 and 3 forming SPFOR and becoming Station 34. It’s presently home to 11 Fire Fighter/EMT volunteers who “Serve With Pride”